History of Gilli Danda
Gilli Danda comes from India, probably with origins over 2500 years ago. It is taken into consideration to be the starting place of Western video games together with cricket, baseball, and softball. As a beginner young people’s recreation, Gilli-danda has many local versions. Gilli Danda (additionally spelled Gulli-Danda) additionally called Viti Dandy, Kitty-Pul, and a different version is a recreation originating from the Indian subcontinent, performed withinside the rural regions and small cities throughout South Asia in addition to Cambodia, Turkey, South Africa, Italy, Poland, and in a few Caribbean islands like Cuba. The Gilli Danda recreation become invented in India and commenced gambling throughout the Maurya Dynasty. In fact, this recreation originates from numerous different video games that had been created withinside the West like cricket, softball, and baseball. This advanced from 2000 to 2500 years ago.
There have to be at least a set of gamers to play Gilli Danda. The gamers are divided into equal-member groups. After a coin toss, the group which wins the toss makes a decision whether or not they’ll bat first or move for fielding.
- A small circle approximately 4 ft in diameter is drawn at the floor with a small oval-fashioned hollow inside the center (the hollow has to be smaller than the Gilli). The Gilli is positioned throughout the hollow.
- Two groups are fashioned and they bat with the aid of using turns.
- The batsman attempts to hit the Gilli with the danda twice — as soon as to raise it off the floor and as soon as to hit it as long distance as possible.
- If he’s successful, the fielding group attempts to seize the Gilli earlier than it touches the floor. If they succeed, the batsman is out and the subsequent participant is available to bat.
- If the fielders can’t seize the Gilli, the space among the imperative hollow and the region wherein the Gilli falls is measured by the danda. Each period of the danda counts for one run.
- After the rating is recorded, the danda is positioned over the imperative hollow. The fielder who becomes status, closest to the factor wherein the Gilli had fallen, attempts to hit the danda with the Gilli from wherein he becomes status.
- If Gilli hits the danda or falls withinside the circle, the batsman is out. If now no longer the batsman receives every other danger to hit Gilli. The recreation maintains until all of the gamers have had their flip at batting. The group with the maximum runs is asserted the winner.
- Details may be clarified on the venue with the aid of the umpires and the organizers.
Benefits of Gilli-Danda:
Gilli danda improves competencies like hand and eye coordination, judgment, calculation, etc. As a beginner in young people’s recreation, Gilli-danda has many versions. In a few versions, the striker ratings are depending on the space Gilli falls from the putting factor.